1998 is the most amazing year ever, except for...pimples, braces and other pubescent maladies. So in honor of this, we are doing an experiment that is recommended on asmallvictory.net - taking the 100 most popular songs of that year, bolding the ones I loved, striking out the sucky ones and leaving the ones I've never heard of untouched. Yay.
1. Too Close, Next
what a PIECE OF SHIT.2. The Boy Is Mine, Brandy and Monica
does anyone else remember the huge booger brandy had in her nose in verse 2? no one?
3. You're Still The One, Shania Twain
shania, EAT ME.
4. Truly Madly Deeply, Savage Garden
this was like...if emo was annoying and fay. not that it's not.5. How Do I Live, LeAnn Rimes
shrug. i have no defense.6. Together Again, Janet
i didn't know the name of this song until 2000. i equal horrible.
7. All My Life, K-Ci and JoJo
lazy eye cunty crap song
8. Candle In The Wind 1997, Elton John
might be the worst song ever.
9. Nice and Slow, Usher
can you tell i don't like r&b?
10. I Don't Want To Wait, Paula Cole i can't do either, i hate the song now, but i had the single and enjoyed it for its dawsonness. meh.
11. How's It Going To Be, Third Eye Blind
only bad third eye blind song.
12. No, No, No, Destiny's Child
suck suck SUCK13. My Heart Will Go On, Celine Dion
titanic is amazing. i heart hand swipes on steamy windows.14. Gettin' Jiggy Wit, Will Smith
yes, there was a time when i thought will smith was buggin'. word.
15. You Make Me Wanna..., Usher
i hope naomi campbell did...bad things to you. down quello.16. My Way, Usher
FINALLY. usher's one good amazing badass song.17. My All, Mariah Carey
<3 oh, mariah. not as good as heartbreaker, but clearly amazing.
18. The First Night, Monica huh? what is this?
19. Been Around The World, Puff Daddy and The Family no idea. i never listened to rap in 8th grade.
20. Adia, Sarah McLachlan
god. cheesy crap folk shit.21. Crush, Jennifer Paige
i COMPLETELY forgot this song ever existed.22. Everybody (Backstreet's Back), Backstreet Boys
oh, the age of boy bands.
23. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing, Aerosmith
i NEVER understood the love for this song. never.
24. Body Bumpin Yippie-Yi-Yo, Public Announcement what the fuck is this? is it a band?
25. This Kiss, Faith Hill
faith hill, you ruin me.
26. I Don't Ever Want To See You Again, Uncle Sam again, huh?
27. Let's Ride, Montell Jordan clearly, i know nothing.28. Sex And Candy, Marcy Playground
were there people that didn't like this song? non capito.
29. Show Me Love, Robyn
i hope her second single shows up here. that one was way better.
30. A Song For Mama, Boyz II Men i don't remember it, though i'm sure i hated it.
31. What You Want, Mase what is this?
32. Frozen, Madonna
i remember this. 'oooh madonna reinvented herself again!' give it up, cunt.
33. Gone Till November, Wyclef Jean shrug
34. My Body, Lsg WHAT. i'm so sad i didn't hear this.35. Tubthumping, Chumbawamba
i liked it the first 400 times it was on the radio. i guess that counts.
36. Deja Vu (Uptown Baby), Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz so so out of it.37. I Want You Back, 'N Sync
i can do the dance. not.38. When The Lights Go Out, Five
WHAT A FUCKING INCREDIBLE SONG. remember the rap? hahahaha.
39. They Don't Know, Jon B. isn't that the name of a sloop?
40. Make Em' Say Uhh!, Master P glad i never heard of it.
41. Make It Hot, Nicole Featuring Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott and Mocha there's a rapper named after coffee? i don't get it.42. Never Eve, All Saints
i like the way brits say z - 'zay'
43. I Get Lonely, Janet ????
44. Feel So Good, Mase who is this mase creature?
45. Say It, Voices Of Theory i feel dumb.com46. Kiss The Rain, Billie Myers
i haven't heard this in forever.47. Come With Me, Puff Daddy
AMAZING. PUFFY 4EVA
48. Romeo And Juliet, Sylk-E Fyne
my dad has the single. fact.
49. It's All About Me, Mya and Sisqo nope. thong song?50. I Will Come To You, Hanson
their ballad. it kills me.
51. One Week, Barenaked Ladies
pseudo pretentious clits.
52. Swing My Way, K.P. and Envyi there's no way that was ever a song.
53. The Arms Of The One Who Loves You, Xscape see above.
54. My Love Is The Shhh!, Somethin' For The People hahaha what an amazing title. never heard of it though.
55. Daydreamin', Tatyana Ali muhammed ali's daughter? maybe? forse?
56. We're Not Making Love No More, Dru Hill ah, back when rappers talked about fucking instead of shooting. the good old days.57. Semi-Charmed Life, Third Eye Blind
stephen jenkins, you rock all things.58. I Do, Lisa Loeb
i feel like lisa loeb somehow created the emo movement by wearing those fucking glasses.
59. Lookin' At Me, Mase WHO ARE YOU??? I'V SEEN YOU 15 TIMES
60. Looking Through Your Eyes, LeAnn Rimes baffled gape.
61. Lately, Divine uh.62. Quit Playing Games (With My Heart), Backstreet Boys
when this came out, i thought it was the most amazing shit ever.
63. I Still Love You, Next fuck you, next.
64. Time After Time, Inoj they covered this?65. Are You Jimmy Ray?, Jimmy Ray
i bought it last year. i rule.
66. Cruel Summer, Ace Of Base i seriously don't recall this.
67. I Got The Hook Up!, Master P hahaha i remember the name, but little else.
68. Victory, Puff Daddy and The Family puffy was rather prolific this year. hmm.69. Too Much, Spice Girls
SPICE NATION70. Ghetto Supastar (That Is What You Are), Pras Feat. Ol' Dirty Bastard and Mya
too bad bulworth is THE WORST MOVIE EVER.
71. How Deep Is Your Love, Dru Hill Featuring Redman i love that i just blocked out the rap and shit. it makes me feel good down there.
72. Friend Of Mine, Kelly Price uh. when the hell did this come out?
73. Turn It Up [Remix] / Fire It Up, Busta Rhymes hahahha busta. ugliest rapper ever.74. I'll Be, Edwin McCain
again, associated with dawson. <3 75. Ray Of Light, Madonna
grudgingly accept its rocking beats and shizzle.
76. All For You, Sister Hazel
if sister hazel got eaten by snails, i would be okay with that.
77. Touch It, Monifah ew. even I'M more subtle.
78. Money, Power and Respect, Lox who is this lox? that's a good. a fish, maybe.79. Bitter Sweet Symphony, The Verve
will forever be known as the song where sarah michelle gellar met her deserved demise in cruel intentions.
80. Dangerous, Busta Rhymes busta, we meet again.81. Spice Up Your Life, Spice Girls
slam it to the left, mother fucker.
82. Because Of You, 98 Degrees
i always hoped they'd fall off the bridge. no such luck.
83. The Mummers' Dance, Loreena McKennitt vaguely familiar...non lo so
84. All Cried Out, Allure Featuring 112 why can't rappers just...rap by themselves?
85. Still Not A Player, Big Punisher Featuring Joe i repeat dot dot dot
86. The One I Gave My Heart To, Aaliyah r.i.p.87. Foolish Games / You Were Meant For Me, Jewel
my dad bought this at the wall for a dollar before she released it massively. foolish games is incredibleness.88. Love You Down, Inoj
89. Do For Love, 2Pac pac, i never listened to anything you ever wrote, ergo i care not at all that you swallowed 50 pounds of led.
90. Raise The Roof, Luke uh. i raised the roof without hearing the song. i'm a fraud.
91. Heaven, Nu Flavor d.j. sammy? i like that one.
92. The Party Continues, Jd this whole 'songs that aren't real' needs to stop.
93. Sock It 2 Me, Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott Featuring Da Brat hahaha da brat was on the surreal life. i never saw her before then.
94. Butta Love, Next like butter or butt?
95. A Rose Is Still A Rose, Aretha Franklin you're old. stop.96. 4 Seasons Of Loneliness, Boyz II Men
i couldn't explain it if i tried.
97. Father, LL Cool J you're on the house season premiere. yay.
98. Thinkin' Bout It, Gerald Levert that is the dumbest name ever
99. Nobody's Supposed To Be Here, Deborah Cox nope. nada.
100. Westside, TQ i like mongoose love.
i should do every year. i clearly listen to the radio once in a blue moon and have no legitimate opinions about anything.